Sunday, January 10, 2010

Hawaii

Arrived.

I made it to Hawaii, the trip was somewhat painful and forsure lengthy. I arrived in Vancouver after an hour delay in Kelowna. I quickly came to realize that my flight had again been delayed another 3 hrs which was fine because I was super nervous that I would have problems with my visa. After getting felt up a few times by security I made it through customs with no problems. With the most stressful part of my trip behind me i laid down on some benches and started watching the O.C., and ate some Burger King. Luckily I see one of my buddies Cade stroll in. Our plane was supposed to have left an hour ago. 6 hours after the original boarding time we begin boarding. It's now 12:30 and my ride is no longer coming to get me. We fly to Hawaii, I get a chair that can't recline, bad choice but I still get like one or two hours of sleep. We show up at the airport, no luggage lost, thankfully, and try to start figuring out a way to get to Laie. End up renting a car... without insurance to save some cash, we are poor students after all, and make it to Laie. I ate breakfast at the Hukilau Cafe, for the first time... there was alot of meat on that plate, it was delicious. I had had a burger and sour patch kids in the last 18 hrs so I was stoked.

Housing.

So we move into a place in Kahuku. Super far away, I'm not impressed as I see two cockroaches scurrying about the floor and no coach a hot plate for a stove. So we sleep and the next day I get up and goto school with Dan. Everything is figured out at school I feel good about it. I get a call from Dan, "Hey, how do you feel about living on the point?" "I would more than like it." So we get a spot on the point. Not only is it within walking distance but it is also 50 dollars cheaper a month for rent. Super stoked. Super blessed. Now I live in a 2 room apartment with 3 other dudes and my bathroom looks like one from a prison... brings me back to the mission.

School Starts.
Classes seem like they're going to be Heavy. I realize that we have only three months to finish a semester so there isn't any mellow start; we get right into it. My classes seem tough, but luckily there aren't any distractions in three of them, not so fortunate in Book of Mormon and Bio is yet to be determined as the instructor is to yet to return from Vaca. I'm excited to be back at a real school and working towards graduation.

Church.
Church was decent. Tons of cute girls in my ward and a couple buddies that I'm friends with so I'm stoked. I got to say the closing prayer... it's only a matter of time before they nail me down with a calling.

Beach.
I already hit up the beach. I went to turtle bay with the Williams. Nate studied in the lobby and Chrissy and Katie felt sick, so Vera and I went snorkeling. It was the first time I've really ever gone where I could look at stuff under the water. Super cool, tons of fish there, saw a whole school even.
Also went to a beach by sunset... The waves were gnarly. It was really throwing down at the north shore, felt good to be in the ocean again. Salt in my mouth. Love it.

Home. I miss snowboarding. I miss all my family and friends. I miss being in a place that feels like home. Time to make Hawaii that place.

Photos to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment